Essential Oils & Children
by Nicole Stevens, MSc
If you have children in your home, I bet you are discovering the powerful ways in which doTERRA oils and products can support a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps you’re a little nervous to use oils on your children; maybe you’re not sure if they’re entirely safe for the younger set. Well, as a scientist who has studied essential oils for more than 15 years and as a mum to four wonderful children, let me tell you that doTERRA’s products can be wonderful for children.
We enjoy them daily in our house. If these products are used with care and common sense, you can safely reap all the benefits they have to offer.
If you are nervous about using essential oils on the younger ones, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Essential oils are not novel. While it may seem like essential oils are just the latest and greatest thing, they’ve actually been used by humans for millennia. Essential oils contain constituents that will be recognised by our body systems and handled appropriately. Rest assured that if you use essential oils on your children, you’re not inventing the wheel.
2. Children are not tiny adults. Remember that oils are potent, and children only need a very small amount to achieve efficacy. A little bit goes a very long way. Adjust amounts accordingly.
3. Dilute. Childrens skin is different from adult skin; it’s thinner and generally more sensitive. Even though most oils tend to be non-irritating on the skin (especially on the bottom of the feet, where the skin is thickest), it’s a great idea to dilute essential oil in a good carrier oil before applying to children. You’ll still get the same benefits of the essential oil—you’re just adding extra moisture and pampering delicate child skin. The doTERRA Touch products are great for this, by the way. They’re our favourites!
4. Diffuse. Aromatherapy is an excellent way to enjoy the benefits of essential oil without the worry of skin reactions. Inhaled oils have long been studied for their ability to enhance feelings of relaxation, encouragement, excitement, focus, and well-being. Additionally, diffused oils may support a healthier indoor environment. That’s always a bonus when you’ve got a houseful of children.
5. Oils FOR children, not BY children. The labels on doTERRA’s oil bottles remind us to keep them out of reach of children. Children won’t understand the potency of the essential oils—they only know that these lovely liquids smell divine, and may go overboard in using them. Adults, not children, should always be doing the oil applications, and judiciously at that.
6. Be informed. doTERRA has mountains of information about safe usage of essential oils on their websites. There’s an entire team of support staff who answer questions about essential oils and products (just email email@example.com). And don’t be afraid to chat about oil usage with your family doctor or pediatrician—medical professionals like having a holistic picture of their patients’ health situation, and they have access to other medical literature that can help guide your decisions.
Oils & Products that are wonderful to use with children
1. doTERRA Touch®. These products are wonderful because they come pre-diluted. Young skin is different from adult skin—it’s thinner, more delicate, and generally more sensitive. It’s a great idea to dilute any essential oils before applying them to children, and this kit takes the mess out of dilution.
2. doTERRA OnGuard® products. We love all the products containing doTERRA OnGuard, and they are very children-friendly. The toothpaste is wonderful. My children enjoy the taste and I enjoy that it’s not full of chemicals that even I can’t pronounce. The cleaner concentrate makes the bathroom fresh and I don’t have to worry about toxic residue. And, of course, we diffuse doTERRA OnGuard like crazy during the winter months.
3. doTERRA Balance® and doTERRA Serenity®. These blends have done wonders for our family. We recently moved, and my children were having trouble sleeping in their new rooms. A nice massage with these oils (diluted and applied to soles of feet) helped everyone feel relaxed and grounded in the new surroundings. We often return to these blends when the stresses of life have everyone worked up.
4. Citrus oils. We diffuse oils every day, and the citrus oils are my kids’ favorite. They are so uplifting and energizing—perfect for the dreary winter days when no one feels like rolling out of bed. It’s a natural way to chase off the post-holiday blues. Our favorites are Wild Orange, Lemon, and Grapefruit. We even apply the oils to the palms of our hands and cup them to our noses for an easy “scent tent.” (Just be sure to avoid sun exposure after applying citrus oils topically!)
5. Correct-X®. We always have this product on hand during our outdoor adventures; it’s great to have something natural and effective, yet gentle and non-irritating, for sensitive young skin.
Yes, we live doTERRA in my house. It’s fun to see my children starting to understand which oils might be good in various situations and asking for them as needed. They’re learning to be cognizant of their own health while actively looking for natural ways to support well-being. I love it!
Nicole Stevens, MSc
Introduce your child to essential oils with the doTERRA Kid's Collection. Pre-diluted with Fractionated Coconut Oil, these essential oil blends are gentle enough for children of all ages. Each of these kid-friendly blends is formulated with children in mind—their fragrance preferences, emotional needs, and most common health complaints. Colour-coded labels and roll-on tops make application easy and fun. And while they are created with children in mind, don’t be surprised if you fall in love with a few of these blends yourself.
With adult help, your child can learn to safely apply these essential oil blends to their tummy, hands, head, and heart. As your children grow up using these oils, they can learn to identify their feelings and solve everyday complaints for lifelong success and happiness. The doTERRA Kid's Collection includes six pre-diluted 10 mL roll-on blends designed to support the heart, body, and mind.
Calmer™ Restful Blend helps your child relax and promotes sleep. It creates restful feelings throughout the mind and body with essential oils of Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Buddha Wood, and Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Thinker™ Focus Blend helps prevent mental distraction and reduce feelings of mental stress and fatigue. This kid-pleasing blend is comprised of Vetiver, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Clementine essential oils with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Together, these oils combine in Thinker help instill a sense of alertness and focus while doing homework, during tests, or anytime concentration is needed.
Brave™ Courage Blend helps manage stress and feelings of anxiousness. Counteract negative emotions of doubt, pessimism, and cynicism with Brave Courage Blend. This blend combines essential oils of Wild Orange, Osmanthus Flower, Cinnamon Bark, and Amyris Wood.
Stronger™ Protective Blend promotes a natural immune defense and is soothing to the emotions and the skin during times of distress. This blend combines Frankincense, Cedarwood, Rose, and Litsea essential oils with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Rescuer™ Soothing Blend reduces feelings of tension in the neck and shoulders. This relaxing blend is comprised of essential oils of Lavender, Spearmint, Copaiba, and Tomar seed with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Steady™ Grounding Blend helps balance mood and soothe upset feelings when emotions seem close to the surface. As a parent, you notice when your child seems to be extra sensitive. Sometimes, this means they need a long nap, an extra snuggle, or some one-on-one time. You can help your child feel more calm and balanced with Steady. This blend combines essential oils of Amyris Wood, Balsam Fir, Coriander, and Magnolia with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Together, these oils combine in Steady to evoke calm and balanced feelings. Apply Steady on the bottom of the feet, to wrists, or to the back of the neck to promote feelings of calmness and steady the emotions
doTERRA Kid's Collection Uses and Benefits
The doTERRA Kid's Collection is a kid-friendly introduction to essential oils. Here are some of the ways to use this collection help your child.
Intended for use with parental supervision. Keep out of reach of children under the age of three.
Regardless of where you live or when your children start school, the approaching changing of seasons also brings the higher potential of environmental and seasonal threats. Keep your children, and even your entire family on track with doTERRA’s specialized supplements for children.
doTERRA a2z Chewable™ and IQ Mega® were specifically formulated to work in concert with each other. A more recent addition, PB Assist® Jr., is also a great source of probioticst. Read on to find out more about each supplement.
More information click here
doTERRA a2z Chewable
Recommended dose: Children four years old and older should take two tablets daily with meals, adults may take up to three tablets daily.
PB Assist Jr. Childrens probiotics
Available in a Watermelon flavour, and children normally love the taste! It makes getting those necessary vitamins and minerals into their diets easy.
PB Assist Jr., with its five billion live cells from 6 strains of friendly bacteria and prebiotics, has become a fast favourite. Not only does the strawberry watermelon flavour taste delicious, it promotes healthy microflora balance and by doing so supports the immune system along with the gastrointestinal system.
So much of our health is involved in our guts, making it even more important to populate the gut with good bacteria as early in a child’s developmental years as possible. Probiotic colonies start to develop during the birth process, and continue to develop with the consumption of breast milk. Through these natural processes, and then by adding even more probiotics through supplementation, children can promote optimal microflora balance, long-term digestive and immune system health, and general overall well-being.*
Recommended dose: Consume one sachet daily. You can take it by itself, or in cold foods such as yogurt, smoothies, or breakfast cereal.
doTERRA created this IQ Mega for children AND adults. IQ Mega supports joint health, assists the brain, and promotes cardiovascular health and healthy immune system.
According to modern science, we should consume a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids. But, at least in the western diet, people are consuming far more omega-6 than omega-3. While we do need some omega-6 fatty acids as essential nutrients, this imbalance has been linked to major health problems. Simply increasing our intake of omega-3 fatty acids can positively impact our bodies, which is why IQ Mega has such great benefits.
Recommended dose: 1 teaspoon